All About YOU

Sign by Dealighted - Black Friday Coupons

A compilation of subject matter as seen from my viewpoint. There is no secret or hidden meaning, so read it "as is." There is NOTHING to read between the lines. This forum I use simply to sort my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and insights, not as an avenue for communication.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Where no man (or woman!) has gone before....

I was there. Computer Hell! As a matter of a fact, I just recently left there and came back to a much more pleasant place--out of root files, executable files, paths, formats, uninstalls, installs, search and destroy, Crap Cleaners (that's the name of a real program), rebooting, file registries, tools, preferences, security breeches, potentially harmful files.....got it?

Yeah....been there.....ain't going back if I can keep from it.

OK, I admit causing the problem initially. To be honest, at this point in time, I can't remember why I even downloaded it, but I downloaded a program called PC MightyMax. ah, yes, now I remember. I couldn't open a file, so Windows suggested I update or something to that effect.

Well, up comes this program claiming they could crack any code, yada, yada, yada. I fell for it. I'm not that good at being able to tell the legit programs from the scammers, spammers, and the wham-bammers.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD PC MIGHTYMAX!

I have downloaded/installed a billion programs. Some of them have worked well, some--not so much. It has always (until now) been easy enough to uninstall a program. 

Oddly enough, not only was it NOT listed in the program files so I could quickly, and relatively painlessly choose it from a list and click "uninstall,"  but there was absolutely no trace of it anywhere except the red warning box that annoyingly popped up every 5 seconds or so.

And, when I right clicked on the pop-up, the only option offered was not to close the program altogether, rather to close the menu of the pop-up. Translation: "I'll go away for another 5 second or so. See you later, sucker!"

So, the Reader's Digest version of this escapade is that I "googled" the program, where I quickly learned that the program is bogus and that it is nearly impossible to remove it once it is installed. Great.......

One suggestion was given that was successful. I reinstalled it, it then showed up on the program file list which allowed me to UNINSTALL! WoooHoooo! No more pop-ups!

The moral of the story: Google BEFORE installation, not after!

A little off..............

No comments: