All About YOU

Sign by Dealighted - Black Friday Coupons

A compilation of subject matter as seen from my viewpoint. There is no secret or hidden meaning, so read it "as is." There is NOTHING to read between the lines. This forum I use simply to sort my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and insights, not as an avenue for communication.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Upload Pergatory

Well, I have moved up a level, if you know what I mean. I have cleaned up my laptop after the worst self-inflicted faupax to date. It took about 12 hours, but through diligence and tenacity coupled with stubbornness and research, I managed to claw my way out of that sticky, enveloping pit. Whew!

One would think that it would be a good long while before I perched myself in front of a computer. I jumped head-long into them (my laptop AND the not laptop, whatever that's called--desktop, maybe??) the first thing this morning.

My first cup of coffee in hand, soon I was running spywear and virus checks on both PC's. That done, I set out to "clean up" Tom's computer-the big one. He has mentioned, more than once, how he would like to sit down at the computer "one time!" and not have 20 programs begin to load up and run in the background.

I can't imagine to what he is referring. Even so, I began to investigate if there was anything I could do to simplify his world. 

Because of many reasons I won't go into at this time, I have been downloading all of my videos and photos onto that computer---several times over. What I mean by that is for some reason unbeknownst to me, they all first download by date, then again by file name as I name all of them for quick retrieval.

It seems I have several photo programs that I have downloaded (imagine...) and each time I open one of them to edit one photo, the program copies both folders, the date one, and the name one.

OK, so, I'm thinking you're getting the picture--sorry for the pun, I couldn't help myself! Anyway, as it turns out, each time Tom gets on the PC, a warning flashes about the virtual memory being low. Hmmm...

Not unlike most operations involving a PC, there are several ways in which to approach a task and eliminate a problem. I think I've tried most of them to this point.

My first attempt to relieve the virtual memory by removing a few videos and photos failed. I ran a search for videos and photos. A bit surprised by the results, I opted to send them all to my Palm Pilot. I think I heard it laughing out loud to that request.

Second choice was to copy them off onto a CD. As I mentioned before, the variations in which one can broach an undertaking are virtually endless. Evidently, this was not a viable option. As many programs as I have to copy media onto CD's one would think that at least one would accommodate my needs.

It wasn't as if I was unaware of the magnitude of media I wanted to transfer onto CD's, but not one of the programs informed me that indeed, the requested task could be completed, however, it would take 10 CD's or something like that. The only message I was given was that there was too much information for one CD, to modify and try again.

Leaving half of them on the cutting room floor, intending to complete the task in two sessions, again, I fed my request into the machine. Rejected, again. Still too much information. Files too large to fit on the CD's. Well, HELLO!!! Just put what WILL go on there on there and let me know where you left off so that I can take up where you left off. Not an option. Not on any program I have.

Thirdly, I began looking into downloading or uploading (I'm never quite sure which is correct, and why) my files onto one of many of my Internet accounts. I have a Smilebox account, a Picasa Web account, a Fileshare account, and a Photobucket account.

Smilebox now charges for videos, Fileshare is my newest and most unfamiliar account, so I tinkered around a bit with the latter two accounts.

At the time of this writing two downloading (uploading?) processes are in progress. They each have been working for about 3 hours now and the progress bar shows that each have 2% and 11% , respectively, task completion. This may take a while.

I would not mind so bad if I knew that 100% of the request would be finished, eventually. While it may well happen, my experience has been that I tend to get hopeful at or about 90% of mission accomplished.

Said hopefulness dashed at the notice of "download aborted," for one reason or another, I do try to busy myself during the active time as to not hover over the progress bar holding my breath and wringing my hands.

And so I blog. Perhaps this time I won't be disappointed. Wouldn't Tom be surprised if when the next time he sat in front of the desktop PC it notifies him that his virtual memory bank had had a deposit?

A Little Off.....

No comments: