All About YOU

Sign by Dealighted - Black Friday Coupons

A compilation of subject matter as seen from my viewpoint. There is no secret or hidden meaning, so read it "as is." There is NOTHING to read between the lines. This forum I use simply to sort my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and insights, not as an avenue for communication.

Monday, December 1, 2008

24 Days 'till Christmas!

What the heck happened to this year?? OMG, I know it sounds cliche', but the older I get, the faster the years fly by! Seriously!

I find, too, that even though I am aging, my excitement and child-like anticipation of the holidays (not just Christmas) has not diminished in the least.

Although, as I said, I look forward to all of the holidays (I'm guessing that is why they are deemed 'holidays'), Christmas is without a doubt, my favorite. I absolutely LOVE to decorate and to participate in all of the holiday activities. But this year, this year, will be more exciting than usual.

This year, for the first time in thirty, yes, thirty! years, Lord willing, all members of my family will spend Christmas together. How fantastic is that?! Up until now, the vast majority of my family was "stateside." My sister, Patricia (Pat) has spent Christmas in Germany, which is her home.

While she and her family did visit Arkansas every three years while the girls, Daniela and Scarlett, were young, and now returns yearly with her husband, Ernst, the time of the year they visit is usually visit is in March.

As it turns out, the reason Pat is coming home during Christmastime this year is because Ernst is away, in Afghanistan. Unselfishly, he practically insisted that Pat come and stay with her family here in Arkansas while he was away. He didn't have to coerce her long. She graciously accepted; and we all rejoiced.

I have so many plans for her she won't be able to have any 'down time' unless she specifically asks for it. There are so many things she isn't able to participate in while here in March. The weather is generally nice, but can you imagine how many cups of hot chocolate we have missed sharing together during the passing winter holidays without her here with us? How many snow angels unmade? How many snowballs unthrown? How much Christmas shopping undone? How many surprises not planned? How much food uneaten? My, my, how I am looking forward to turning back the years of 'not dones.'

When teenagers, we had an annual Christmas shopping tradition. We all packed up and headed for Conway. Conway seemed as if it were big enough for a nice, resourceful, trendy city one could visit for holiday shopping while not being intimidated by the even then big city of Little Rock. Somehow, Conway seemed just large enough to be different and thrilling, without being so far from home that it was a dreaded trip.

I remember so many of the gifts we bought for each other and for other family members there. Among the many gifts bought there were drinking glasses, logo trash cans, candles, jewelry, and scarves. Also vivid in my memories are the oh-so-fun lunches my sister and I spent together sitting across from each other in small cafe' booths laughing and talking and trying to figure out what a proper tip for the waitress would/should be. We felt so sophisticated and grown-up.

Now I know that one can never really go back and reenact one's past, but I will do everything in my power to re-create those warm, tender moments with my sister, and indeed, my entire family. Who says 'you can never go back?' Maybe we won't go back, rather, we will create even more memories....even more warm, even more tender.......

A Little Off.....

No comments: