All About YOU

Sign by Dealighted - Black Friday Coupons

A compilation of subject matter as seen from my viewpoint. There is no secret or hidden meaning, so read it "as is." There is NOTHING to read between the lines. This forum I use simply to sort my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and insights, not as an avenue for communication.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Dinner in Big Flat

Yesterday I brought Pat back to Leslie. Daddy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He said that the Senior Citizen's Center in Big Flat was having their annual Christmas Dinner with turkey and dressing and "all the trimmings." He offered to pay for mine if I wanted to join them. SOLD! 

Now I'll be honest, I was expecting something other than what I was pleasantly surprised with. I've got a very healthy appetite and that's a "given," which is why, if you will notice, the majority of the pictures of myself that I post here are from the waist UP! LOL So, I was thinking that everyone would be served the 'healthy' portions of our entree components. Not true!

Sideboards would have been a welcomed addition to my heaping full plate. Very generous servings of white meat turkey atop a mound of moist, mouth watering dressing, creamed corn, cranberry sauce, green beans, garden salad, and a hot roll. That's not even taking into account the huge table spread to every edge with homemade desserts of endless flavors, textures, and design. The kitchen crew had prepared peach cobbler to be served with the planned meal. 

However, countless generous households blessed the guests with pies, cakes, brownies, cookies, candies, dessert bars, banana pudding (my favorite, by far!) and they just kept filing in. It was almost as if the delights were being introduced via conveyor belt. I loved it! And trust me...so did everyone else.

As usual, if Daddy didn't know everyone at the onset of the auspicious occasion, he did by the time the good bye's were being said. He loves people, and people--men, women, and children (and domestic-and an occasional wild-animals, if the whole story be told) love him, flock around him, and are most taken with his boyish charm. He has been compared--often--to Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer. Rightfully so, in my opinion.

On one of the walls in the Center was a painting of the streets of the main part of Big Flat. Many of the buildings, streets, etc. were already pointed out to Mom, Pat, and myself by Daddy as we were going through town on our way to the Center. He'd say, "So and so used to live there," or, "That's where I used to beat everybody out of their marbles," and "This building is this now, but was the post office, or store, or varied other establishments when I still lived here."

Daddy tells stories, or facts, actually, not as sad losses, rather, simply as information, void of any negative emotions which certainly could be provoked by memories alone. I have no doubt he does experience sadness and pain, but he is a die-hard optimist with a side of realist. It's a healthy state he chooses in which to abide. I find his attitude and outlook on life in general admirable. I should be so ready (and willing) to accept the world on its terms rather than to attempt to distort reality to my liking. Wow......now where was I?????

Ah, yes, I meant this for the prelude to the video clip. The background noise is most distracting, but if you can wade through that part, you'll see that there are a couple of cameo shots of two lovely ladies as well.

A sweet very distant relative of Mom's recognized her and all but pulled Mom onto her lap and not let her go. She gave her countless compliments, kisses, pats, and hugs. She shared with us photographs she pulled from her smock pocket explaining with passion who each person in the picture was. We all very much enjoyed her short stories, as well as her sprightly disposition.

I cannot explain how thankful I am to have the parents God abundantly blessed me with. Every minute I can spend with them is nothing short of precious, and I take no moment for granted. I cherish them all. So many things I have learned from them simply by observing how they interact with one another. By far, the most repeated lessons are unconditional love and respect.

Family business is family business, not to be announced to the world. I recognize that there are certain subjects, conversations, and matters which are sensitive and personal. I am about to divulge a tiny excerpt of one of many conversations I hear between my parents on a near daily basis. I write this not to embarrass, betray, or anger, rather to unashamedly brag.

Even after being married some 57 years or there about, tears welled in my eyes last night when I overheard Daddy sweetly tell Mom while saying their good nights, "You sure looked pretty tonight. I love you." 

That's love. That's true love. I'm so blessed............

A Little Off..............


**NOTE**
Video upload unsuccessful X 3, so I will attempt it at a later date....

Mom, Pat, and Daddy

Mom and Mrs. Treat ("kin folk")

Daddy "visiting."

Painting of the streets of Big Flat.

 


 

No comments: