All About YOU

Sign by Dealighted - Black Friday Coupons

A compilation of subject matter as seen from my viewpoint. There is no secret or hidden meaning, so read it "as is." There is NOTHING to read between the lines. This forum I use simply to sort my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and insights, not as an avenue for communication.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Good things are going to happen!

I don't know about you, but this morning, much like yesterday morning, I woke up with excited anticipation for great things to happen in my little world.

I've always been one to think that the world revolved around me (some attribute this to my emotional growth being stunted when my little brother was born--let's see--that would put me at the emotional age of about 5 years old) and see it pointless to change my whole way of thinking at this point in my life.

Recently, however, I have become a much more astute person concerning the world around me and realize what "happens" to me may just well simply be fallout, or ripples, so to speak, of what has happened to those closest to me.

As I take the focus off of myself and concentrate on others, it is more evident to me that other people, too, fall victim to hard times. Now while I was aware of this phenomenon before now, it did escape me that those around those individuals were affected as well. Perhaps not to the degree of the one at ground zero, but affected, nonetheless.

I'm no Socrates, or Plato, or even Sara Palin, but the older I get, the more obvious it becomes. I am not the center of the universe! It has been said hundreds of thousands of times before, but honestly, if only I knew in my youth what I know now. Oh, the wasted years!

A sad-sack Sallie I'm not! It is my desire to have learned something very life changing from my past way of viewing my existence here on planet Earth, not to wallow in lamentation.

Relationships mean so much more to me now. I have come to know that I not only can dive headlong into relationships with healthy boundaries, but also sever the toxic relationships without trepidation or guilt!

Why is it that we can give advice to our dearest family and friends but fail to take the very advice we would offer someone we love? Troubling, isn't it? At whatever age we finally do realize that we must be our own best friend and adviser, I say it is a blessing!

Joel Osteen, pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston, TX is, by far, one of the most inspirational speakers on earth today. Speaking from a Christian perspective, he offers hope and teaches godly life lessons on how one should conduct his/her life to recieve bountiful showers of blessings.

Not unlike some "professionals," his sermons contain information which is familiar to the listener already. However, being a Christian myself, it is much more meaningful to me, and much easier to "apply" considering the "textbook" he uses from which to teach.

One would think that it is common knowledge that an individual chooses to be either a positive or negative person. It is a mindset. A choice one makes on a moment-to-moment basis. Areas this attitude/choice may affect are, but in no way limited to: self esteem, self worth, motivation, hope, familial relationships, work relationships, financial decisions, impulse control, and physical health as well as emotional and mental well-being.

Armed with that realization, many times a day I choose to be a more content, less anxious/worried individual. Thankfully, one can start over as many times a day as he/she desires!

My relationship with my sister has always been an extremely close one, but has gotten even closer over the past few years. My relationship with my brother, however, has not always been ideal. As a matter of a fact, it has been to the point where I avoided him altogether in the past.

No fault of his own, he was the target of much of my pent-up frustration, jealousy, and anger. Upon examining myself and relationships closest to me several years ago, I confronted the issue--the issue with my own emotions and the root of them.

You see, as a middle child, I have always been quite introspective and inquisitive. This time, and armed with the book, "Boundaries," it paid off---BIG!

I am pleased to say that today, I'm not sure my relationship with my baby brother could get much better. I love him to death and appreciate and respect him greatly, not only as a brother, but a man, and as a person. Everyone else already knew how near-perfect he was/is, I just had to stop resisting and "call a spade a spade."

I find that there are not near enough times we, as a family, can all get together. I so cherish those times now. There is no tension, no anger, no resentment among us.

So, saying all of that, I hope you will honestly examine your relationships, and mend those that have the potential to be healthy, productive ones. Recognize the toxic ones. Distance yourself from them, and take your own best advice!

A Little Off............


No comments: