All About YOU

Sign by Dealighted - Black Friday Coupons

A compilation of subject matter as seen from my viewpoint. There is no secret or hidden meaning, so read it "as is." There is NOTHING to read between the lines. This forum I use simply to sort my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and insights, not as an avenue for communication.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Microwave vs Old School

There are a few select smells/fragrances/odors which instantly produce memory provoking chemicals in the brain. These, of course, vary from person to person. However, to date, I have yet to meet the person who is not "taken" with the mouth-watering aroma of freshly popped theater popcorn. Now there's some memory bank withdrawal for you....

While in WalMart today I opted not for the usual Act II butter lover's microwave popcorn, rather the "old fashioned" popcorn one can actually see popping through a glass lid atop a large pot sitting on a red-hot burner on the stove.

Not to say that I didn't consider going WAY back and buying the Jiffy Pop popcorn, because I did--but only for a moment. Honestly, I wanted to see if I could still do it the way we used to before microwaves were a way of life.


Hands down, the stove top method is the clear winner. Ahhh....the smell, and the sound. You don't tantalize those senses with the instant gratification method. Indeed, those were kinder, gentler days and times. Many memories surfaced as the steam impregnated with a mixture of oil and simmering kernels reached my nostrils. I dare say a smile formed effortlessly while shaking the pot across the burner to prevent the corn from scorching or burning.

And as Tom and I enjoyed dipping our hands into the enormous bowl of salted and buttered homemade popcorn, we allowed our hands to linger there just a moment when they touched...just like the old days.........our smiles warmer than the popcorn.








A Little Off.......

No comments: