All About YOU

Sign by Dealighted - Black Friday Coupons

A compilation of subject matter as seen from my viewpoint. There is no secret or hidden meaning, so read it "as is." There is NOTHING to read between the lines. This forum I use simply to sort my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and insights, not as an avenue for communication.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Flash from the Past

While cleaning the back room yesterday, I ran on to a poem I wrote two years ago. To be sure, I am thankful these are kinder days.

Snowy Run


Through the darkness, in the middle of the night
I heard voices and knew all was not right.
Just then Mom said, "Teresa, your Daddy wants you upstairs.
He's having a hart time breathing," Immediately I lifted the first of my prayers.

I didn't see a patient, I saw my best friend
With angst in his eyes, awaiting this episode's end.
Even Maggie, the dog, sensed her buddy was not well.
It was one a.m., he wasn't eating, he was distressed, she could tell.

I ran facts through my brain, made deductions and then
Began making decisions, asking questions, assessing the color of his skin.
Was he stressed to the point he could take little more?
How can I help this man I adore?

I called 911, "Please respond quickly to 601 Walnut Street."
As I was feeding information, I saw snow--I heard sleet.
It seemed a lifetime, but finally the ambulance was here.
Never was it a question, I'd go, I had to be near.

Snowing atop an ice covered route
Oh why the COPD? Why couldn't it be his gout?
Following slowly in tracks left by a big truck,
The driver stopped to remove ice from the wipers, and then we were stuck.

She maneuvered the vehicle back and forth for a while,
The truck forged ahead...we lost over a mile.
Suddenly we gained traction, we were again on our way
slipping and sliding, when I heard him say,

"Sure is taking a long time, are we nearly there?"
Don't tell him, "no," I thought. Tell him a lie, I don't care!
Have him believe well be there very soon.
That's right, thank you, for humming a cheerful tune.

The smile you gave him calmed my fears some, too.
Emergency Services are blessed with this crew.
You patted his shoulder and said, "You're gonna be just fine."
"No one's finer," I thought, "Than this daddy of mine."

Time found us behind a road grater, somehow.
Clearing a path of the snow, and now
I began to see progress, toward the hospital we went.
A grateful prayer from my heart to His ear sent.


And in the back, Daddy's expression almost reflected content,
In his eye was relief, and hope, just a glint.
When announced was, "OK, Bud, we're here."
I would not breathe easy 'till I saw a doctor appear.

After a short stay in the hospital, home right 'round the bend,
My hero soon home, my story must end.
It will not be forgotten as now it is penned,
The snowy trip to the hospital with Daddy, my best friend.





A Little Off.........

No comments: